Think you're savvy when it comes to water usage and conservation statistics? The facts below, extracted from the EPA WaterSense® website, may surprise you!
- The Earth might seem like it has abundant water, but in fact only 1 percent is available for human use.
- Toilets are by far the main source of water use in the home, accounting for approximately 30 percent of residential indoor water consumption.
- Over the course of your lifetime, you will likely flush the toilet nearly 140,000 times. If you install a WaterSense labeled HET, you can save 4,000 gallons per year and your children can save as much as 300,000 gallons during their lifetime.
- Faucets account for more than 15 percent of indoor household water use-more than 1 trillion gallons of water across the United States each year.
- By simply turning off the water tap while brushing our teeth, the average household can save as much as 3,000 gallons of water per year!