Have Questions? Interested in Onsite Training
Contact NSFTraining & Education
- e firstname.lastname@example.org
- p +1 734 827 5600
Toll Free USA
+1800 NSF MARK (800 673 6275)
BRC Global Standard for Food Safety
Author: British Retail Consortium (BRC)
Publisher: TSO (The Stationery Office)
Incorporating a thorough review of all clauses to provide greater guidance for food businesses and clarity to auditors, the "BRC Global Standard for Food Safety (Issue 5)" has been extensively revised for 2008.
Originally created to establish a standard for the suppliers of food products to UK food retailers, this publication has now become a leading global standard supported by major retailers throughout the world and adopted by over 8,000 food businesses in more than 80 countries. Certification to the Global Standard for Food Safety verifies technical performance, aids manufacturers' fulfillment of legal obligations, and helps provide protection to the consumer.
All of the changes within the revised edition have been based on wide and extensive consultation with international stakeholders. Changes to the revised Standard include:
- Greater emphasis on senior management commitment to achieving an effective quality management system
- Greater clarity and definition of the HACCP section as the cornerstone of a food safety management system
- Expanded section on issues of major industry importance, such as allergens and site security
- A more rigorous grading system linked to more frequent audits for poorly performing sites
- Revision of product categories that focus on technology of food production to clarify competence requirements of auditors
The British Retail Consortium (BRC) will be working more closely with certification and accreditation bodies to improve the infrastructure for delivering the standard through enhanced training and the development of performance monitors. To allow time for retailers, producers, and certification bodies to become fully familiar with the new requirements and for the BRC to develop their support and infrastructure, the BRC will not recognize certification against the revised standard for six months after it is formally published. This will be published as a requirement in the standard.
To place an order for the BRC Global Standard for Food Safety, please use our online order form.